Eligibility, Funding & Overseas Students
We welcome applications from students who:
- Meet the MRC funding eligibility requirements, including 'Residence requirements' at http://www.mrc.ac.uk/skills-careers/studentships/studentship-guidance/student-eligibility-requirements/
- Have a Physical Sciences, Mathematical or Computational Sciences background.
- Hold (or expect to be awarded) a relevant degree (listed above) at the highest level.
- Have achieved a UK II.i Honours Degree (If your degree is not from the UK, please check International Qualifications to find your country's equivalent).
- Have a passion for scientific research.
The Medical Research Council provide 4 years of funding for:
- University Fees at the Home/EU rate*;
- A stipend at the standard RCUK rate;
- Funding for research consumables;
- A contribution towards personal development training;
- A contribution towards travel/conference attendance
*Funding does not include overseas fees or College Fees.
This studentship is primarily for UK students, although overseas candidates may be considered in certain circumstances.
If you are an International Student, please first check that you are eligible to apply, at http://www.mrc.ac.uk/skills-careers/studentships/studentship-guidance/student-eligibility-requirements/.
Fees for International Students
At the University there are two tiers of fees in place:
- 'Home' rate: Applicable to students from EU countries (plus one or two others)
- 'Overseas' rate: International students who don't qualify for the 'Home' rate
To find out which you qualify as and to view the current fees, please visit http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/fees/what-my-fee-status.
*The MRC only provide fees for this studentship at the 'Home' rate. Successful Overseas applicants are required to obtain their own funding to cover the 'Overseas' componant of the Fees (candidates will be asked at interview stage, how you will cover these additional fees).
Additional sources of funding for International Students
If you are an 'Overseas' student, you can apply for additional funding from a variety of sources to cover your 'Overseas Fees'.
Cambridge Funding Schemes
There are various funding schemes available at Cambridge - please visit http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/funding for details, or enquire by email to email@example.com.
If you do wish to apply for a funding award to cover your oversees fees, please ensure that you check the application deadline for each scheme - many of them have deadlines that fall earlier than our PhD Programme deadline. The Cambridge funding award schemes require completion of section B on the online University Applicant Portal application form.
Please note that these funding awards are very competitive, with many more applicants than awards available. You should not therefore rely upon success in these competitions and should investigate other sources of funding (outside of Cambridge) too. The Cambridge Stem Cell Institute is not involved in any way in the decision process for any of these funding awards. Candidates must apply for these awards separately from their PhD application, and there is no guarantee that any funding application will be successful.
Please visit http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students for more information for International Students wanting to study at the University of Cambridge.
International students may be required to complete a language test, further details of which can be found at: Language Requirements.